Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Customer (Dis)service



Monday after a trip to the orthodontist with Thomas, we went over to the mall so I could get a haircut. I desperately, by my standards, needed one.
~
Sydney's best friend Delora just graduated from cosmetology school and cut and colored it for me last time, and has since gotten a job at Cost Cutters. When she cut my hair last time, I was really happy with it, and told her she was going to be my new hair stylist. We joked about me not "cheating on her" and going anywhere else. She, however, was not working that day at Cost Cutters, so I decided to go to Master Cuts, where I've been going for years.
~
We walk into Master Cuts. There are two stylists there and no customers in the store. I think to myself, "Cool! No one here...in and out with a quick hair cut." NOT.
~
One of the stylists is sweeping up hair from her previous customer, the other (who happens to be the manager) is standing in the middle of an empty salon. It's 4:15. The manager says, "Come back at 4:30." I look around at the empty waiting area and say, "Really?" I leave my name and Thomas and I go to cafe court. He's hungry and wants Subway.
~
So there I sat, in cafe court, mulling over this scenario. It really ticked me off. I mean, doesn't the customer always come first?? The more I thought about it, the more it ticked me off. I'm having an argument with my conscience about going back at 4:30. I decide to go back, because I really need that haircut.
~
We arrive back at the salon at 4:30 on the dot. Now there are 3 customers in the store, 2 in the styling chairs. Nice. Miss (mis)manager looks up at me. I turned around and walked out. I won't be going back. Master Cuts corporate will be getting a letter.
~
We walked across the mall and went to Regis. There, I was treated like a queen. I spouted off my dissatisfaction to the stylist there. She said they hear a lot of complaints about Master Cuts and often have customers come there for "re-do's." She told me that Master Cuts stylists work for a flat rate and don't get commission, so no matter how much work they do (or don't do), they make the same money. At Regis, she said, they work on commission, so they WANT the business. Good to know.
~
I now have a great hair cut and learned a valuable lesson.
~
Don't cheat on Delora.

1 comment:

michelle said...

Good to know... I wish I could remember which one Master Cuts is. I remember taking the boys to the one next to Motherhood and paying WAY too much. I got an eyebrow wax once at Regis and it was a very positive experience. Delora sounds like your girl!