Thursday, December 9, 2010

Freshmen vs. Moberly 12-7-10







The girls and boys both lost Tuesday night in Moberly. Thomas got lots of playing time in his game.
He had complained of a sore throat Monday evening. Tuesday morning it was still sore, but only a little red and he didn't have a fever. He had sent me a few text messages throughout the day saying he was feeling a lot better.
~
When we got home from the game he was pretty tired, saying his throat still hurt. He was trying to do homework and kept laying his head down. He didn't have a fever, but looked pretty wiped out. I sent him on to bed.
~
Thursday morning I went and woke him up to see how he felt. He said, "Like poop." Still no fever, but still a pretty sore throat. I opted to take him to work with me and put him in an empty room until I could sneak away and get him either to the pediatrician or Urgent Care for a culture. Got to work and realized that was going to be hard to accomplish, as we were very busy.
~
I got brave and cornered one of the pediatricians who was making rounds. I told him my predicament and guess what? He was more than happy to write an order for a throat swab to be done there, at the hospital. He even said he would be happy to call in antibiotics if it was positive! Whew! I sent the order down to admitting, ran down there and registered him, got a culturette and swabbed his throat myself. Turns out it was negative for strep, which was good.
~
He did, however, sleep the ENTIRE morning and early afternoon, only waking up to eat the breakfast and lunch I brought him. He said his head was hurting pretty bad, so I gave him a few Advil. By late afternoon he was starting to perk up a bit. I knew he had to have felt pretty bad, because he never once complained about spending all day on the couch in an empty room.
~
This morning he's back to his old self and went to school. I'm so glad it was short-lived.

No comments: